"Pop Open a Good Book"
Reading Extravaganza 2014: February 3rd - March 2nd
READING LOGS (click here for a PDF)
The Sioux Falls Christian annual Reading Extravaganza is ready to begin. We will be having a special popcorn/movie evening on February 27th for students & their parents to celebrate all the reading the students do this month. See the newsletter for more information.
Reading Extravaganza Instructions & Guidelines
- Attached to this letter you will find four weekly reading logs to record the amount of time your child reads.
- Reading that is done before and after school hours may be counted. NO reading done during school will be counted toward weekly reading goals.
- Reading logs must be turned in by each Tuesday to their classroom teachers or they will not be given credit.
- Reading periods should be logged in 15 minute increments.
Time spent listening to someone else read and reading independently is counted; the student should NOT be doing other activities while being read to. The student and the parent should sign the reading log sheet to ensure accuracy. The weekly reading log runs from Monday through the following Sunday and should be brought to the teacher by each Tuesday.
Weekly rewards will be given to all classes who meet their personal and class goals. Each classroom teacher will determine if their goals have been met using the reading logs received on Tuesdays. The weekly rewards will include:
Week 1 Gum and Game Day
Week 2 Movie Day
Week 3 Silly Day
Week 4 Treats Given
- Prize drawings – each student can enter his/her name into a drawing each time that they meet their individual weekly reading goals. Several names will be drawn throughout the month and prizes will be awarded to those students.
- All students who participate will receive a treat the last week.
- The top class in each grade will have a pizza party in March as long as they met their goal each week.
- The prizes will be given throughout the Reading Extravaganza, so we will NOT be having the awards ceremony this year.
Monday, February 3rd - Students begin logging reading time
Thursday, February 27th – Student/parent popcorn and a movie night at school
Sunday, March 2nd - Last day for students to log reading time
Tuesday, March 4th – Final day for reading logs to be turned into teachers
If you have any questions, please contact Kelly Addink in the elementary library at firstname.lastname@example.org.